What to do if your neighbour has Japanese Knotweed

Renowned as the “UK’s most aggressive and destructive plant”, Japanese knotweed is a serious concern for councils and homeowners alike and can cause a multitude of issues to your home. Not only can it wreak havoc on the foundations, drains and paving of your property, but Japanese Knotweed can also seriously damage your chances of selling or re-mortgaging your home down the line. Not only are most buyers put off by the stigma surrounding the plant, but the many mortgage lenders will refuse to lend on properties with the weed present.

With this is mind, discovering that one of your neighbouring properties might have Japanese knotweed can be a serious concern as a home owner.

How to stop Japanese knotweed from spreading

Although it grows rapidly, you can treat and prevent the spread of Japanese knotweed in a number of ways:

  • Chemical spraying – this process usually requires a number of sprays over the place of three years to fully treat the issue.
  • Burying the knotweed – you will need to speak to your council about this beforehand, as there are restrictions places on where you can bury waste.
  • Burning the weed – again, you will need to speak to your local council first and you may require an environmental permit to ensure that you are within the legal restrictions.

Taking legal action for Japanese knotweed

If your neighbour has Japanese Knotweed on their property, they are under no legal obligation to remove the weed from their own property. However, if it begins to encroach upon your property they are causing a private nuisance and therefore you may be able to take court action against them. The first step is to let them know about the issue, as they may be unaware of the destruction that the plant can cause. If they still refuse to take action, it is important that you seek legal advice as soon as possible. At CEL Solicitors, our expert team of solicitors are on-hand to give you information and advice about your rights as a homeowner suffering with Japanese knotweed, or a neighbour concerned that Japanese knotweed might spread. Contact our expert team of housing solicitors today on 0808 281 2660 or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk.