Poor living conditions in damp council house leave tenants with chest infections and pneumonia

Tara Davidson, who has been renting a flat from Stoke-on-Trent City Council has revealed the awful living conditions of her damp-infested council home, and claims that her family have been struck down with chest infections and pneumonia.

The mother-of-two has been living in the property for just over two years and says that her family have been regular visitors to the doctors due to the damp-related issues they have been faced with. She claims that she has been reporting problems with damp for over a year, saying, “the damp started out in the toilet and then spread to the back door and throughout the kitchen. The council initially came out and claimed it was the door that started it.”

She added, “my partner caught pneumonia and has had a chest infection. The council told us we should have been considered a priority, but no-one seemed to care.

“We’ve all been to the doctors so many times and when my daughter, Layla, was born she managed to catch a chest infection.”

Stoke-on-Trent City Council have since sent out contractors to re-plaster the walls, and Councillor Randy Conteh, cabinet member for housing, said, “there have been ongoing unrelated damp and condensation issues at Mrs Davidson’s home reported on three occasions over the last 12 months.”

What can I do if my council home is damp?

Poor living conditions in your rented home can be highly inconvenient and unsightly, but damp can also lead to serious health concerns if not dealt with quickly. This can be particularly dangerous for children, elderly people and anyone already suffering from respiratory conditions. At CEL Solicitors, we believe that every tenant has the right to live in a safe environment, so if you have reported issues surrounding mould and damp to your landlord, but you believe that they are not taking their legal obligations seriously, you may be able to claim compensation.

For more information about your rights as a tenant dealing with mould and damp, contact our expert team of council housing solicitors now to receive free, no obligation advice on 0808 281 2660 or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk.