Birmingham City Council housing disrepair complaints

If the property that you live in is owned by Birmingham City Council, your landlord will be legally obligated to carry out any necessary maintenance and/or repairs on your home, throughout the course of your tenancy. Maintenance work may include, but isn’t limited to the following:

  • Access to electricity, gas, hot water and heating
  • A building that is safe and well-maintained structurally in the eyes of the law
  • A home free from damp and mould
  • Pest control if needed

So, if your rented home doesn’t have adequate access to hot water, or if you believe that Birmingham City Council have not repaired issues with the structure of the building, it is imperative that you report the problem before yours or your family’s wellbeing is put in danger.

Unsafe conditions in your rented home not only create an unappealing environment to live in, but they may also contribute to health issues for you and your family. Rising damp, for example, can be especially dangerous for young children and adults suffering from respiratory conditions.

Is it possible to complain to Birmingham City Council if my home needs repairs?

Yes, if you feel that your rented home is falling into disrepair you should report all of the issues to Birmingham City Council as soon as possible. In an emergency, you can call 0121 216 3330 and Birmingham City Council will respond as possible hours. Emergency repairs include:

  • no heating or hot water (during extreme weather)
  • no electricity
  • no cold, clean drinking water
  • dirty water coming up through plug holes or toilets
  • a damaged door or window has left your home insecure
  • a severe leak or burst pipe
  • a leak that is affecting the electrics
  • an unsafe electrical fitting that is sparking or smoking, or bare wiring

Can I take legal action if Bury Council haven’t dealt with my housing complaints within 15 working days?

If you believe that Birmingham City Council have not dealt with your housing repair complaints within a reasonable amount of time, council housing solicitors may be able to claim against the trust on your behalf – for both compensation and for the repairs in question.

To find out the rights you hold as a tenant, or for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact CEL Solicitors today on 0151 909 8212 or email