Legally, if you rent your home from Blackpool Council, both you and your landlord are obligated to make sure that the house or flat is maintained to a satisfactory standard of living.

These standards include:

  • Working sanitation – including full access to working sinks and baths, flushing toilets, baths and unblocked drains
  • A property that is structurally safe
  • Satisfactory access to heating and hot water
  • A damp-free, mould-free and vermin-free home
  • Working gas and electricity

This means that, if Blackpool Council have ignored your requests asking them to deal with any damage to the structure of your home or have left you without access to reasonable drainage solutions, you may be able to claim against them with the help of a housing disrepair solicitor. Living in a home that is falling into disrepair is not only hugely inconvenient but can also have a negative impact on both yours and your family’s health.

This is especially concerning when it comes to issues such as mould or rising damp around children, or anyone with respiratory conditions.

At CEL Solicitors, our team of expert solicitors specialise in dealing with social housing complaints, and are passionate about fighting for everyone’s right to live in a well-maintained and safe property.

Can I complain to Blackpool Council about disrepair in my rented property?

If you have any concerns about your rented home, ensure that you report any concerns to Blackpool Council as quickly as possible. In the event of an emergency repair, you will need to contact the Repairs Hotline using the FREEPHONE number 0800 073 0184. The freephone number is available for emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In the case of non-emergency, but urgent, repairs you can email and your details will be sent to the Repairs Hotline who will contact you either that same day or the next working day to confirm details of when the repair will take place.

What should I do if Blackpool Council haven’t dealt with my housing complaints?

If you have complained about housing disrepair to Brighton Council, but you feel that they have failed to deal with the report within the promised amount of time, our housing association solicitors may be able to help you to against them, for both compensation and for the repairs in question.

For more information about your rights as a tenant, and for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact CEL Solicitors today on 0151 909 8212 or email