If you rent your home from Bournemouth Borough Council, both you and your landlord will have signed a tenancy agreement that legally requires that the property is kept to a satisfactory standard of living. You, as the tenant, will be expected to maintain the property on a day-to-day basis, whilst Bournemouth Borough Council will be responsible for carrying out any required maintenance and/or repairs on your home, throughout the course of your tenancy. Required maintenance can include:

  • Well-maintained access to gas, electricity, heating and hot water
  • Any structural repairs that are required in order for the property to be considered legally safe
  • Ensuring that there is access to sinks, toilets and drainage solutions
  • Damp and mould management
  • Pest and vermin control if needed

Living in a house that is falling into disrepair is not only both irritating and inconvenient, but it may also have a negative effect on the health of both you and your family. Rising damp, for example, can cause ongoing health problems for young children and adults suffering from respiratory conditions, whilst pest control issues can cause illnesses if not treated professionally.

So, if you believe that Bournemouth Borough Council have left your rented property to fall into disarray, you must report any issues you may have before yours or your family’s wellbeing is put in danger.

Contacting Bournemouth Borough Council about housing disrepairs?

If you believe that your rented home is no longer a safe or hygienic place for you and your family to live, it is important that report all of the problems to Bournemouth Borough Council as soon as possible. In an emergency, for example if:

  • Your home is not secure
  • You have no heating or hot water (November to April only)
  • You have a serious water leak
  • Your only toilet does not flush
  • You have lost your electricity or water supply

Contact Bournemouth Borough Council on 08000 281870 or, for non-emergencies, call 08000 281870 or, in a non-emergency, email the council on housing.repairs@bournemouth.gov.uk.

Bournemouth Borough Council have not dealt with my housing disrepair issues

If you believe that Bournemouth Borough Council are not taking your housing complaints seriously, or the length of time that they are taking to dealt with any issues is unreasonable, our expert housing solicitors may be able to claim against the company on your behalf.

To find out the rights you hold as a tenant, or for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact CEL Solicitors today on 0151 909 8212 or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk