If you rent your home from Bracknell Forest Borough Council, your landlord has a legal duty to maintain the property and make sure that any necessary repairs are carried out to a legal standard, throughout the course of your tenancy. This includes:

  • Vermin and pest control
  • Ensure that there is full access to hot water and heating within the property
  • Ensure that the building is structurally sound in the eyes of the law
  • Easily available access to electricity and gas
  • A damp-free property

If, for example, the Bracknell Forest Borough Council property that you are renting has problems with pest control, or if you believe that the structure of the building is damaged, it is important that you take action before yours or your family’s wellbeing is compromised.

Poor conditions in your rented home are not only inconvenient, but issues such as vermin, rising damp or leaks can really affect your health – particularly children and adults suffering from respiratory conditions.

Should I complain to Bracknell Forest Borough Council if my rented home needs repairs?

Yes, any concerns you may have regarding disrepair to your home should be reported to Bracknell Forest Borough Council as soon as you can. If the issue is an emergency, where there is a risk to someone’s health or safety, a home is not secure, or there is damage that is rapidly getting worse, you can call 0800 692 3000.

Is there anything I can do if Bracknell Forest Borough Council hasn’t dealt with my housing complaints?

If you have reported your concerns to Bracknell Forest Borough Council, but the issues haven’t been addressed within a reasonable amount of time, council housing solicitors may be able to claim against the trust on your behalf – for both compensation and for the repairs in question.

To find out the rights you hold as a tenant, or for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact CEL Solicitors today on 0808 273 0900 or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk