If you’re a tenant in a house owned by Brentwood Borough Council, your landlord has a set of legal obligations to ensure that your home is structurally safe for you and the rest of your household to live in, and that you have access to essential services.

Some of the things that Brentwood Borough Council are responsible for maintaining and repairing include, but are not limited to:

  • Safe access for the tenant to heating, hot water, gas and electricity
  • Access to water and adequate sanitation
  • Fixing any roof leaks or unsafe slates/tiles
  • Fixing penetrating damp and any mould that forms as a result

When should I tell Brentwood Council that my property needs a repair?

If you notice a structural problem with your home, such as any of those above, you should contact Brentwood Borough Council to report the issue as soon as possible. You can report a repair during office hours on 01277 312500. The council use contractors to carry out the work and you are usually contacted directly by them to make an appointment for an assessment or repair.

If the repair is an emergency, which means that your health or safety or the property is at considerable risk if it isn’t fixed immediately, you can call the same number and select option 2. If you use the emergency call out for a repair that is not considered an emergency, you may be charged for the costs of this by the council.

What if Brentwood Borough Council don’t make repairs once I’ve reported the problem?

Repairs carried out on behalf of Brentwood council for their tenants are usually prioritised based on how they affect a tenant’s safety or health, and less urgent repairs may take longer to be carried out. However, your landlord does have a legal obligation to make the property safe for your household to live in as quickly as possible; therefore, if you have requested a repair and haven’t heard back from them, or they have failed to make a full repair when needed, you may be eligible to make a disrepair claim against them.

Our expert housing disrepair solicitors are available to discuss your options and advise on the next steps if you are looking to pursue a disrepair claim, so feel free to get in touch with us on 0151 909 8212, or by emailing info@celsolicitors.co.uk.