If you rent your home from Brighton and Hove City Council, both you and your landlord will have signed a contract at the beginning of your tenancy that states that the property will be kept to a decent living standard. Though you will be expected to keep the property to a reasonable standard from day-to-day, your landlord’s responsibilities will include:

  • Making sure there is working sanitation throughout the property, (this includes flushing toilets, unblocked drains and working baths and basins)
  • Ensuring that the property is structurally sound
  • Ensuring that there is reasonable access to hot water, heating, electricity and gas
  • Keeping the property free from vermin, damp and mould

Poor conditions in your rented home can not only be inconvenient, but in some cases can also put yours, and your family’s, health at risk. So, before any problems with your home get out of hand, be sure to report any concerns you may have to your landlord as soon as possible, as housing association repair obligations clearly state that it is their legal duty to keep the property up to the required standard of living.

If, however, you believe that your complaints regarding any issues with your Brighton and Hove City Council rented home are not being acknowledged by your landlord, you may be entitled to take legal action against Hyde Housing for the repairs that haven’t been done, along with compensation for yourself.

Can I complain to Brighton and Hove City Council about disrepair in my rented home?

Yes, you should let your landlord know any issues you have with your home as soon as possible. To report a non-emergency, you can call 0800 052 6140 24 hours a day and will be attended to within 20 working days. However, if you require an emergency repair you can call 0800 052 6140 and Brighton and Hove City Council will get back to you within 24 hours.

What can I do if Brighton and Hove City Council haven’t responded to my housing complaints?

If you have reported your concerns to Brighton and Hove City Council, but have failed to see any action within the 20-working-day time period, you may be eligible to claim compensation.

To find out your rights as a tenant, and for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact us today on 0151 909 8212 or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk