If you are a tenant of Cannock Chase District Council, you have some responsibilities when it comes to keeping your home in a tidy and clean state. Your landlord is legally responsible for looking after the structure of your home, making sure that it is a safe place for you to live. Some of the things that Cannock Chase council are obliged to maintain and repair include, but are not limited to:

  • Kitchen and bathroom fixtures
  • Heating, water and sanitation fittings or appliances
  • Roof and exterior walls, including boundary walls and fences
  • Ensuring external doors and windows are operational and can be secured

Your landlord has a responsibility to carry out these repairs within a reasonable timescale after the problem is reported.

How do I report disrepair to Cannock Chase District Council?

There are a few different ways to report repairs to Cannock Chase council. You can drop in to your local council office in person, email housingrepairs@cannockchasedc.gov.uk or call during office hours on 01534 462621. You can also report a repair online by visiting the council website and filling in the form. For emergency repairs, where the health or safety of people or property is at serious risk, call the above number at any time to contact the emergency repair service.

They have three types of repair categories:

  • Responsive repairs – All emergency, urgent and routine repairs fall under this category
  • Void repairs – To help bring all homes up to Decent Homes Standard
  • Planned repairs – Improvement works that are carried out in phases all year round e.g. fencing and guttering repairs or replacements.

What happens if Cannock Chase District Council don’t fix the problem in my home?

If you have reported the disrepair correctly and have not heard back after a reasonable amount of time. Or, if you feel that Cannock Chase council aren’t taking your repair request seriously, you may be eligible to make a claim against them. To discuss your options and see if you have a claim, contact CEL Solicitors for a free consultation, on 0151 909 8212.