If you rent a home from Central Bedfordshire Council, your landlord has certain responsibilities to ensure that your property is safe to live in. Repairs related to the structure of the home, and permanent fittings inside, are generally down to the landlord to repair and maintain, with the tenant also having responsibilities to keep the home in good order.

Some of the landlord’s obligations include, but are not limited to:

  • Maintaining the boiler, heating and hot water systems
  • Ensuring the home is free from penetrating damp and resulting mould
  • Fixing broken staircases or bannisters
  • Maintaining the roof, guttering and exterior pipework

If the damage is caused by the tenant, they may be required to pay for any works; otherwise, the landlord should foot the bill for maintenance and repairs for things that fall under their responsibility.

When should I complain about disrepair to Central Bedfordshire Council?

As soon as you spot a problem that needs repairing, you should contact the council to request a repair. The sooner that you let them know about the issue, usually the sooner it can be fixed and your home restored to the way it should be.

You can report a repair to Central Bedfordshire Council using their mobile app or through their website, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You can also ring for free on 0800 074 0263 and choose from the options, depending on the type of issue you want to report.

In emergencies, outside of office hours, you can ring the above number and it will be diverted to the Out of Hours service. Emergency repairs are those where health and safety are at risk or further damage to the property or belongings will occur if the problem is not fixed straight away.

What happens if Central Bedfordshire Council don’t make the repairs when they should?

The council state that emergency repairs should be started within 2 hours of the report and made safe or completed within 24 hours. Urgent repairs should be done within 5 working days and routine repairs carried out within 20 working days. Some weekend and evening appointments may be available.

If you have requested a repair and Central Bedfordshire Council have not responded or don’t seem to be taking your repairs seriously, even after being given a reasonable amount of time to sort them out, you may be eligible to claim for compensation. Contact CEL Solicitors today to discuss your options and find out if you have a valid claim. Email on info@celsolicitors.co.uk or call us on 0151 909 8212.