Complaining about disrepair in a Barrow-in-Furness Borough Council property

If you’re renting a house owned by Barrow-in-Furness Borough Council, your landlord will be legally obliged to ensure that your home has access to all of the essential plumbing and heating, as well as being structurally safe for you and your family to live in.

Barrow-in-Furness Borough Council, as landlords, are responsible for ensuring that your home has all the necessary amenities, including:

  • Access to heating, hot water, gas and electricity
  • Working sanitation (including a toilet, bath and sinks)
  • Working drainage systems
  • A home free from vermin when your tenancy begins

Should I tell Barrow-in-Furness Borough Council that my property needs repairs?

Yes, it is important that you inform your landlord of any repairs required as quickly as possible. To do so, you can contact them by calling 01229 876370, or on 01229 833311 if emergency repairs are needed out of hours.

What if Barrow-in-Furness Borough Council haven’t made the repairs even though I have reported the problem?
If you believe that your landlord isn’t taking your repairs seriously, despite having reported them via the proper channels, you may be eligible to make a claim against them.

Our experienced housing disrepair solicitors are available to discuss your options and advise on the next steps if you are considering making a disrepair claim. Feel free to get in touch with us on 0808 273 0900, or by emailing