Complaining about disrepair in a Bristol City Council rented home

If you are a tenant in a property that is owned by Bristol City Council, your landlord is expected to repair and maintain all essentials services within your home, as well as ensure that the property is structurally safe for both you and the rest of your household. In turn, you as the tenant will be expected to keep on top of any upkeep and maintenance that your home requires on a day to day basis. This should all be stated within your tenancy agreement.

Bristol City Council responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

  • Repairing external issues to do with the structure of your home
  • Unblocking drainage and fixing broken boilers and hot water systems
  • Ensuring that the household has access to appropriate sanitary facilities (including flushing toilets and functioning sinks)
  • Removing any penetrating or rising damp from the property


A home that is unsafe for you and your family, due to disrepair, is a breach of your landlord’s duty and can be putting the health and safety of both you and your family at risk – particularly young children or more vulnerable adults.

How do I report disrepair to Bristol City Council?

As soon as you spot an issue within your home that will require repairing, you should contact them as soon as you can to report the issue. The quickest way to report a repair  is to do so online, but if it is an emergency you can ring 0117 922 2200 between 8.30am to 6pm or 0117 922 2050 out of hours.

What if Bristol City Council don’t complete the repairs when promised?

If you live in a home that is owned by Bristol City Council, as a tenant, your landlord has certain legal obligations when it comes to repairing and maintaining the structure of the property and your access to essential services. If you have reported the repairs required to your home via the right channels but you believe that your landlord hasn’t taken action within a reasonable amount of time, you may be eligible to make a disrepair compensation claim. Call CEL Solicitors for a free claim assessment and to discuss your options, on 0808 273 0900 or email