Complaining about disrepair in a Bury Metropolitan Borough Council home?

If you rent your home from Bury Metropolitan Borough Council, your landlord will have signed a tenancy agreement to state that they will carry out any required repairs or maintenance to your home in order to ensure that the property is kept to a satisfactory standard of living.

Their responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

  • Repairing faulty boilers or hot water/heating systems
  • Fixing leaking roofs or broken guttering
  • Ensuring the tenant has safe access to gas, water and electricity
  • Ensuring the property is structurally safe

Living in a home that is starting to fall into disrepair can not only be unsightly and inconvenient, it can also be a health and safety hazard for both you and your family – particularly if you have any small children or vulnerable adults within your household.

When should I report repairs to Bury Metropolitan Borough Council?

You should report any issues that you believe to be your landlord’s responsibility to fix, as soon as you spot there is a problem. The sooner you report problems, the sooner that your council should schedule in an appointment to make any necessary repairs. If you are unsure as to whether or not a repair within your home is your landlord’s responsibility, your tenancy agreement and paperwork should help. You can also use this landlord & tenant responsibility tool.

Six Town Housing manage council homes on behalf of Bury Council. This includes repairs and maintenance to your home. To report your repair call 0808 144 5368 to speak to someone between 8.00am and 5.00pm (Monday to Friday).If you ring outside these hours, your call will be dealt with by the emergency ‘Call Out’ Team who will decide whether your repair needs to be dealt with as an emergency.

What if Bury Metropolitan Borough Council don’t fix my home after I’ve reported it?

If you have reported that repairs are needed to your home and Bury Metropolitan Borough Council have not attempted to fix the problem(s) after a reasonable amount of time has passed, you may be eligible to make a housing disrepair compensation claim. If you contact CEL Solicitors, we can assess whether you have a potential claim and what the next steps are. Call today on 0808 273 0900 or email