Complaining about disrepair in your Cheshire West & Chester Council home

If you are a tenant of Cheshire West & Chester Council, your tenancy agreement will outline that both you and your landlord have certain responsibilities when it comes to maintaining your home. You must keep your property in a clean and tidy state and your landlord is obligated to repair anything structural or issues that relate to permanent fittings in the home.
These repairs include, but are not limited to:
• Rising or penetrating damp
• Broken boilers or heating systems
• Rotten doors and window frames
• Loss of electricity or faulty wiring

How do I inform Cheshire West & Chester Council about repairs that are needed?

If you are a social housing tenant, your repairs will need to be reported to the housing association that manages your property. In Ellesmere Port and Neston, this is ForHousing, part of the ForViva group. You can report repairs online using their tool, and can also track the status of repairs that you have told them about previously. For emergency repairs, you can call 0300 123 5522. If you call out of office hours, you will automatically be forwarded to their ‘out of hours’ service. You can text about repairs to 67200 or visit your local area office in person.

What if ForHousing don’t make the repairs or the problem comes back?

Landlords have a reasonable amount of time in which to make essential repairs to your home; so, if ForHousing, acting on behalf of Cheshire West & Chester Council, don’t seem to be taking your repair request seriously, have not fixed the issue within a reasonable amount of time, or the problem has come back again quickly, you may be eligible to make a housing disrepair claim. A successful claim will mean that the landlord is ordered by the court to make the repairs as quickly as possible, and in some circumstances, you may also be eligible for compensation on top of this. Contact CEL Solicitors on 0808 273 0900 or email to find out what your options are and for a free claim assessment.