Complaining about disrepair in a City of Westminster Council property

If you are a tenant in a City of Westminster Council property, your landlord is legally obliged to carry out any essential repairs to ensure that your home is safe for you to live in and that you have access to essential services whilst in the home. A tenant’s right to repair is subject to law, so it’s important that a landlord ensures that they resolve any outstanding issues. As landlords, the City of Westminster Council must make sure that:

  • Your home is structurally safe to live in
  • The property is clean and free from vermin at the start of a tenancy
  • There is a safe and accessible supply of electricity to the property
  • The tenant has access to hot water

A house that has fallen into disrepair and is unsafe for tenants to live in requires immediate repairs before a tenant falls ill or is caused an injury. A safe home is essential and it is the council’s duty, as landlords, to ensure they are renting properties to their tenants that are fit to live in, year round.

How do I report repairs to the City of Westminster Council?

If you need to report a repair that needs carrying out on your property and you live in a property that is owned by the City of Westminster Council, then you should get in touch with the council so that they can carry out the relevant repairs immediately. In order to report the repairs to the council, if you are a CityWest Homes tenant, you can call the repairs centre on 0800 358 3783 or 020 7245 2990, Monday to Friday, from 8.30am to 5pm. If you need to make a complaint outside of these hours, then you can call 0800 358 3783. This number is an emergency line which should only be called if there are outstanding repairs that pose an immediate danger to the property or people. Don’t forget that it is important to report a repair as soon as it is noticed as some repairs can get worse the longer they are left.

What if the City of Westminster Council don’t carry out the repairs fully?

Part of a landlord’s job is to ensure that your home is safe for you to live in, so if you feel that they have not carried out the repairs that they should have or haven’t done it to a standard that you feel is sufficient then you may be eligible to make a claim against them. If your claim is successful then not only will the landlord be ordered by the court to make the repairs they should have made originally, you may also be entitled to some form of compensation, particularly if the failure to carry out repairs has had a detrimental effect on your health.

For a free claim assessment or to discuss your options and rights, contact CEL Solicitors on 0808 273 0900 or email today.