Complaining about a disrepair in a Derby City Council Property

If you are living in rented accommodation owned by Derby City Council, then you are within your rights, as a tenant, to have any structural repairs fixed as soon as possible, particularly those that pose a threat to your health or the wellbeing of your family. Whilst it is your responsibility to ensure that the property is kept in good condition, it is the landlord’s responsibility to fix repairs that include but are not limited to the following:
– A lack of electricity throughout the property
– A problem with vermin at the start of the tenancy
– Mould or damp anywhere in the property caused by structural issues
– Unsafe stairs e.g. Missing hand rails or uneven/loose steps

How to contact Derby City Council to report an outstanding repair

If you have a repair that Derby City Council are responsible for and need to resolve then you should contact them straight away – disrepair that is left for a long period of time can get worse, so it’s important that the issue is reported when it first arises. In order to report a repair with Derby Homes, you should call 01332 888777 and state the details of the issue. Whilst it is Derby Homes’ responsibility to ensure all repairs are looked into, they only have to be fixed within a reasonable amount of time and not within any set deadline under law, although many councils do have their own internal targets too.

I have waited a reasonable amount of time and Derby Homes have not looked into the issues in my home, what should I do?

If you find that Derby City Council are being unresponsive when it comes to looking into any disrepairs that you might be experiencing and a reasonable amount of time has passed, you may be eligible to make a complaint against them. You are within your rights to have a clean and safe home to live in and if Derby Homes are not supplying you with that, then you can contact CEL Solicitors for advice. If you make a successful claim, not only will Derby Council be required by the court to carry out the relevant and necessary repairs but they can also look into your claim to see if you are entitled to any compensation over the issue. To find out what your rights are and what you are entitled to at this stage, please contact CEL Solicitors on 0808 273 0900 or email today.