Complaining about disrepair in a Flintshire County Council House

If you’re a tenant of Flintshire County Council in one of their social housing properties, as your landlord, they have several responsibilities to you and your household. It’s down to Flintshire County Council to maintain and repair the structure of the house you live in, ensuring that it’s of an adequate standard for you to live there safely. Their responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

  • Maintenance of the drainage and sanitation facilities in the property
  • Ensuring you have access to power and lighting
  • Ensuring you have a functioning heating system and hot water
  • Maintenance of any garden fencing and outbuildings that are council-owned

For example, if you were to discover leaking pipes in your home, it is Flintshire County Council’s responsibility to fix the problem and repair the pipe work, within a reasonable timescale.

Can I complain to Flintshire County Council about disrepair?

It’s important to let Flintshire County Council know about a repair as soon as you discover the problem. If essential repairs are not reported straight away, the disrepair can cause more damage to the property or personal belongings over time and eventually be much more difficult to fix.

To report a repair, tenants of Flintshire Count Council can call 01352 701660 during office hours. For emergency repairs that are out-of-hours, you can call 0845 373 3665 to report the problem when urgent.

What if Flintshire County Council don’t make the house repairs I asked for?

If you’ve reported the repairs that are needed through the proper channels and Flintshire County Council don’t respond or have not attempted to fix the problem within a reasonable timescale, you might be eligible to make a compensation claim against them. If you, or anyone else in your household, has suffered as a result of the disrepair issue, or if any of your personal belongings have been damaged or broken because of it, you may be able to claim for this, as well as for the necessary repairs to be carried out.

For a free initial disrepair compensation claim assessment, contact CEL Solicitors on 0808 273 0900 or 0203 925 4551; or by email at