If you’re a tenant in a house owned by Gateshead Metropolitan Borough Council, your landlord is obliged to ensure that your home is structurally safe for you and the rest of your household to live in, and that you have access to essential services.

Gateshead council, as landlords, are responsible for maintaining and repairing the following, amongst others:

  • Safe access to heating, hot water, gas and electricity
  • Working sanitation e.g. toilet, bath, sinks
  • Functional drainage and pipework
  • Ensuring the home is free from penetrating or rising damp

When should I tell Gateshead Council that my property needs a repair?

You should inform your landlord as soon as you notice that there is something wrong with your home. Repairs for Gateshead Council homes are handled by The Gateshead Housing Company. You can contact them online if the problem is not an emergency. During office hours, repairs can also be reported by calling 0800 408 6008, and the same number can be used out-of-hours in if emergency repairs are needed.

Emergency repairs are those which will involve significant risk to people or property if not fixed very quickly. This could include things like boiler breakdowns, burst pipes or electrical faults.

What if Gateshead Metropolitan Borough Council don’t make repairs once I’ve reported the problem?
Repairs carried out on behalf of Gateshead Council for their tenants, by The Gateshead Housing Company, are evaluated based on their urgency. If repairs are needed but are not emergencies, it may take longer for them to be fixed. Routine repairs, such as improvement works to several houses at once, will usually be scheduled months in advance.

If you have reported any repairs that are needed through the proper channels but don’t feel that your landlord is taking them seriously, or they have made no attempt to take action on any repairs after a reasonable amount of time has passed, you may be eligible to make a claim.

Our experienced housing disrepair solicitors are available to discuss your options and advise on the next steps if you are considering making a disrepair claim. Feel free to get in touch with us on 0151 909 8212, or by emailing info@celsolicitors.co.uk.