If you are a tenant in a home owned by Harlow Council, you have a right to expect your landlord to repair and maintain the structure of your property, and ensure that you, as their tenant, have safe access to essential services. You will also have your own responsibilities as tenant for the upkeep and maintenance of the home. Review your tenancy agreement for full details.

Harlow Council’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

  • Repairing external doors and windows so that the property can be secured
  • Fixing broken boilers or non-functioning hot water systems
  • Ensuring that the household has access to appropriate sanitary facilities i.e. flushing toilet, functioning sinks etc.
  • Fixing broken stair treads or bannisters

A home that is unsafe for you and your family, due to disrepair, is a breach of your landlord’s duty and can be putting the health and safety of your household at risk.

How do I report disrepair to Harlow Council?

As soon as you spot something that needs repairing by your landlord, you should contact them to report the issue. You can call their Repairs Centre during office hours on 01279 446666 for non-urgent repairs, and the same number can be used in emergencies at any time. Tenants can also report a repair by visiting the Civic Centre in person or by emailing repairs@htsgroupltd.co.uk. If the repair needed is an emergency, the phone number should be used to report the problem so that it can be addressed as quickly as possible.

When will Harlow Council carry out repairs on my rented home?

The length of time that it will take Harlow Council to fix your home will depend on the type of issue that needs to be repaired. The repairs that are classed as emergency, should be attended to and made safe within a few hours, but longer may be needed to make a permanent repair. Emergency repairs include things like:

  • Dangerous wiring
  • Burst supply pipes to the property
  • Damage to the structure that makes it unsafe

Urgent repairs should be attended to by Harlow Council within five working days and standard repairs within 20 working days.

What if Harlow Council don’t complete the repairs when promised?

If you have reported the repairs needed through the right channels but Harlow Council don’t seem to be taking the issue seriously or haven’t fixed the problem properly after a reasonable amount of time, you may be eligible to make a disrepair compensation claim. Call CEL Solicitors for a free claim assessment and to discuss your options, on 0808 273 0900.