If you live in a home that is owned by Hartlepool Borough Council as a tenant, your landlord has certain legal obligations when it comes to repairing and maintaining the structure of the property and your access to essential services. Their responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

  • Repairing faulty boilers or hot water/heating systems
  • Fixing leaking roofs or broken guttering
  • Ensuring the tenant has safe access to gas, water and electricity
  • Ensuring the property is structurally safe

If a home has fallen into disrepair, it can not only be unsightly and inconvenient, it can also be a health and safety hazard that can cause or exacerbate health conditions, or cause injury to someone in the household. It’s essential that your home is safe for you and your family to live in.

When should I report repairs to Hartlepool Borough Council?

You should report any issues that are seen as your landlord’s responsibility to fix, as soon as you spot there is a problem. The sooner you report problems, the sooner that your council should schedule in an appointment to make any necessary repairs. If you’re not sure what is your landlord’s responsibility and what is your own, as a tenant, your tenancy agreement and paperwork should help. You can also use this landlord & tenant responsibility tool.

To report a repair, you can contact Hartlepool Borough Council’s team on 01429 523336. This number can be used for emergencies outside of office hours. For non-urgent repairs, you can also drop into the Civic Centre in person to report the issue, or email HousingServices@hartlepoole.gov.uk, but any issues requiring urgent action should be reported over the phone.

What if Hartlepool Council don’t fix my home after I’ve reported it?

If you have reported that repairs are needed to your home and Hartlepool Borough Council have not attempted to fix the problem(s) after a reasonable amount of time has passed, or have carried out an incomplete repair that is still causing issues, you may be eligible to make a housing disrepair compensation claim. If you contact CEL Solicitors, we can assess whether you have a potential claim and what the next steps are. Call today on 0808 273 0900.