Complaining about disrepair in a Lancaster City Council property

If you’re a tenant in a house owned by Lancaster City Council, your landlord is obliged to ensure that your home is a legally safe place for you and the rest of your household to live in. This means that the property should be safe from a structural point of view, as well as ensuring that you have access to essential services.

Lancaster City Council, as your landlord, is responsible for maintaining and repairing the following household issues:

  • Access to heating, hot water, gas and electricity
  • All household sanitation, including; toilets, baths and sinks
  • Drainage and pipework
  • Issues regarding penetrating or rising damp
  • Pest control

When should I tell Lancaster City Council that my property needs a repair?

You should inform your landlord as soon as you notice that there is something wrong with your home. Repairs for Lancaster City Council homes can be reported via their online form. During office hours, repairs can also be reported by calling 01524 582929 or, if you have an emergency out of office hours, please call 01524 67099.

Emergency repairs are those which will involve significant risk to people or property if not fixed very quickly. This could include things like boiler breakdowns, burst pipes or electrical faults.

What if Lancaster City Council haven’t made repairs even after I’ve reported the problem?
If you have let your landlord know about an emergency repair, Lancaster City Council aim to carry out the work within 24 hours (or immediately where there is a danger to life or limb or serious damage to the property.) Repairs that are non-emergencies but require urgent attention should be carried out within five working days, and all other repairs should be carried out within 4 weeks. If you have reported any repairs that are needed through the proper channels but don’t feel that your landlord is taking them seriously, or they have made no attempt to take action on any repairs after a reasonable amount of time has passed, you may be eligible to make a claim.

Our experienced housing disrepair solicitors are available to discuss your options and advise on the next steps if you are considering making a disrepair claim. Feel free to get in touch with us on 0151 909 8212, or by emailing