Complaining about disrepair in a Salford Council property

If you live in a social housing property in Salford, your landlord has certain responsibilities to make sure that your house is safe and maintained to an adequate standard structurally. As a tenant, you also have some responsibilities to keep the house in good order; but, for essential services and disrepair issues that could cause harm to people, or personal belongings, it’s down to your landlord to fix the problem. Their specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

  • Ensuring you have access to hot water and a functioning heating system
  • Ensuring the home is free from penetrating damp
  • Ensuring you have safe access to electricity and gas

For example, if your home has a faulty window which is letting water in and causing damp issues, resulting in mould, this is not only unpleasant to live with, but can also potentially cause health issues for members of the household, especially if they have existing respiratory conditions. It’s your Salford landlord’s responsibility to fix the problem and ensure that your home is safe and in an adequate state of repair.

When should I complain about disrepair in my house to Salford Council?

You should contact your housing association landlord as soon as you notice that there is a problem that needs fixing or a repair is required. The sooner you report the repair, the sooner the work can be carried out. Depending on which Salford housing association you are a tenant with, there will be a specific way to contact them, with full details on how to report any repairs available on their websites.

It’s your landlord’s responsibility to fix the problem within a reasonable timeframe and make sure that any essential services are restored as quickly as possible.

What if the repairs are not done to my Salford Council house?

If your housing association in Salford do not carry out the necessary repairs within a reasonable amount of time, it might be possible for you to make a compensation claim against them. If you, or anyone else who lives in your home, have suffered as a result of the disrepair, or any of your personal belongings have been damaged by the issue, you might be able to claim compensation for this, as well as ensuring that the essential repairs are carried out.

For a free initial claim assessment and further information about your rights as a tenant in relation to disrepair, contact CEL Solicitors on 0808 273 0900 or 0203 925 4551; or email