Complaints about disrepair in an Aspire Housing property

If you live in a house owned by Aspire Housing, your landlord has a legal obligation to ensure that your home is structurally safe and that the building isn’t putting you or your household at risk of harm. As a tenant, you also have responsibilities when it comes to the upkeep of your house, but for repairs that are related to the building itself or some permanent fixtures and fittings, it falls to Aspire Housing to fix any issues that arise. Your landlord’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

  • Ensuring that you have a home that is free from penetrative damp and resulting mould
  • Ensuring that you have access to hot water and a functional heating system
  • Ensuring the property has working drains, guttering and sanitation fixtures, such as toilet, bath and sink

For example, if drainage pipes rupture or cause a leak, it is down to Aspire Housing to make repairs and rectify the problem. They must fix the issue within a reasonable amount of time in order to meet their legal obligations as landlords.

Can I complain to Aspire Housing about disrepair?

You should report any repairs that are needed to Aspire Housing as soon as you spot the problem exists. If the repairs are an emergency, which means that there is an immediate risk of harm to people or belongings, you can call Aspire Housing’s emergency line on 01782 635 200, which is available 24/7. For non-emergency repairs, they can be reported online or by calling the above number during office hours (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm).

Emergency repairs include (but are not limited to) fixing dangerous leaks (water, gas), making the property secure if ground floor doors or windows are damaged and broken boilers during the winter.

What can I do if Aspire Housing don’t make the repairs after I report them?

If you have reported the repairs that are needed through the appropriate channels and Aspire Housing have not attempted to fix the problem within a reasonable amount of time, it may be possible for you to make a compensation claim against them. If any members of your household have suffered as a result of the disrepair and it not being fixed within the timescales it should have been, you might be eligible to make a claim.

Contact CEL Solicitors for a free initial claim assessment and for more information about disrepair claims – on 0151 909 8212, or email