Council Tenants / Housing Solicitors – Disrepair in Council Housing

If you are living in rented accommodation owned and managed by your local council, your landlord (the council) has a legal duty to carry out certain repairs on your home.

Living in a property that needs repairs to be done can be damaging to your, or your family’s, health and well-being – particularly when it comes to small children, the elderly or vulnerable adults. If you have reported repairs that need doing to your council landlord, but they haven’t done the work, or haven’t done it properly, council housing solicitors may be able to claim against them on your behalf, both for compensation and for the repairs in question to be done.

Council Tenants Rights

Legally, the paperwork that you sign when you move into rented council accommodation forms an agreement that both you and your council landlord will keep the property up to a required standard of living.

As a tenant, you will need to keep the property in a clean and tidy state, and handle any small maintenance tasks, like changing light bulbs, when needed. You are also responsible for reporting any repairs that you need in your home to the council landlord, as soon as you spot the problem.

The standards that your council landlord needs to stick to, include:

  • Ensuring you have access to hot water, heating, electricity and gas
  • Making sure your home is a safe, well-maintained building
  • Ensuring you have proper working sanitation – including drains, sinks, toilets,
    baths and basins.
  • That your gutters and outside drainage pipes are free from blockages
  • Making sure your home is damp-free

For example, your council home may have damp issues, perhaps due to problems with the roof or guttering.  Not only can this be horrible to live with and make your home look like a mess, but damp can also cause health problems. The council that you rent your home from has a responsibility to you to fix not only the signs of damp, but also the problem that caused it, so the damp doesn’t just come back. If you, or anyone in your household, has suffered as a result of repairs not being done by your landlord, then we can help you.

Council Housing Solicitors

At CEL Solicitors, we take council housing repair complaints very seriously and believe that everyone deserves to live in a safe, well-maintained property.

As a tenant, we understand that you may be worried about claiming against your council landlord, but you don’t have to suffer unnecessarily, and you cannot be evicted for complaining about repairs or for making a claim. To find out more about your rights as a council tenant and for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact us today on 0808 273 0900; or email

Social Landlord Directory