If you live in a rented property that is owned by Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council, both you and your landlord will have signed a tenancy agreement that legally requires that the property is kept to a satisfactory standard of living. As the tenant renting the property off the council, you will be expected to ensure that the property is maintained to a reasonable standard on a day-to-day basis, whilst Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council will be expected to carry out any required maintenance and/or repairs on your home, throughout the course of your tenancy. Required maintenance may include:

  • Making sure that there is satisfactory access to gas, electricity, heating and hot water
  • Damp and mould management
  • Pest control
  • Making sure that any structural repairs required are carried out to ensure that the property to be considered legally safe
  • Making sure that there is sufficient access to sinks, toilets and drainage solutions

Living in a house that is falling into disrepair is not only inconvenient and can have a detrimental effect on your mental health, but it may also have a negative physical effect for both you and your family. Rising damp, for example, can cause ongoing health problems for young children and adults suffering from respiratory conditions, whilst pest control issues can cause a variety of illnesses if not treated early.

So, if you believe that Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council have left your rented property to fall into disarray, you must report any issues you may have before yours or your family’s wellbeing is put in danger.

How can I contact Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council about housing disrepair issues?

If you believe that the home that you are renting is falling into disrepair or is becoming an unsafe place for you and your family to live, be sure to report the problems to Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council as soon as possible. In an emergency, contact your landlord by calling 0300 555 8283.

Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council have not dealt with my housing disrepair issues

If you believe that Dudley Metropolitan Borough council are not taking your housing complaints seriously, or that they are taking too long to deal with any issues, our expert housing solicitors at CEL may be able to claim against the company on your behalf.

To find out the rights you hold as a tenant, or for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact CEL Solicitors today on 0151 909 8212 or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk