Durham County Council housing disrepair complaints

When you moved into a rented property that is owned by Durham County council, both you and your landlord will have signed a legally binding tenancy agreement that requires that the property is kept to a satisfactory standard throughout the course of the tenancy. As the tenant, you will be expected to maintain the property on a day-to-day basis, whilst Durham County council will be responsible for carrying out any of the required maintenance and/or repairs on your home. Required maintenance can include:

  • Safe and well-maintained access to electricity, gas, heating and hot water
  • Any structural repairs that may be required throughout the course of the tenancy in order for the property to be considered legally safe
  • Reasonable access to sinks, toilets and drainage solutions
  • Damp, mould and pest control management

Living in a home that you feel is falling into disrepair can be unsightly and inconvenient, but in extreme cases it can also have a negative effect on the health of both you and your family and lead to a multitude of illnesses. Rising damp, for example, is renowned for causing ongoing health problems – especially for young children or adults who may already be suffering from respiratory conditions. Additionally, pest control issues can lead to a variety of medical complaints if not treated quickly.

With this in mind, if you believe that Durham County council have left the property that you are renting to fall into disarray, it is important that you report any issues you may have before yours or your family’s wellbeing is put in danger.

How should I contact Durham County council about housing disrepair?

If you believe that your rented home is falling into disrepair or is no longer a safe place for you and your family to, is it crucial that you report the problems to Durham County council as soon as possible. In an emergency, call 0300 1311 999.

Durham County Council have not dealt with my housing disrepair issues, what can I do?

If you believe that Durham County council haven’t taken your housing complaints seriously, or that they are taking an unreasonable amount of time to deal with any issues, our expert housing solicitors may be able to claim against the company on your behalf.

To find out the rights you hold as a tenant, or for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact CEL Solicitors today on 0808 273 0900 or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk.