Could I make a housing disrepair claim?

Here at CEL Solicitors, we represent people and families living in social housing properties whose homes are not being properly maintained by their social landlord, whether these are housing association or council-owned properties.

As a tenant living in rented accommodation, your landlord is responsible for ensuring:

  • That the house you live in is in a good state of repair structurally
  • That your drains and gutters are clear and working as they should be
  • That you have a working heating system
  • That you have safe access to electricity, gas and water
  • That you have working sanitation facilities i.e. toilet, basins, sinks, etc.
  • That your home is free from damp and vermin.

Who is eligible to claim for social housing disrepair?

If your social landlord is not sticking to their responsibilities for repair, you may be able to make a housing disrepair claim. Whether you are eligible to claim for housing disrepair with CEL Solicitors will depend on your individual situation, and whether it meets some, or all, of the criteria for a valid claim. These can include:

  • Whether you live in a house or a flat
  • Whether you rent your home through social housing or privately
  • The seriousness of the disrepair
  • The impact of the disrepair on your home and the daily lives of those living there
  • The length of time the property has been in a state of disrepair
  • How many times you have reported the repairs needed to your housing association or council landlord

For a free assessment of your claim or to discuss potential next steps, contact us today on 0808 273 0900; or email