Getting repairs done by Crawley Borough Council

When you move into a property owned by Crawley Homes, on behalf of Crawley Borough Council, you have the right to repair, to ensure that your home is a safe place to live in. If you notice that a repair is needed in your house, it is important to report it as soon as possible, not only because it can pose a huge risk to your health and safety but also because a problem can get worse over time if not addressed when it first occurs. If you are unsure about the type of issues you should report to your landlord, some examples include:

  • Issues with plumbing and hot water
  • Structural damage to the property that is posing a danger to tenants
  • Vermin and pest issues in the property
  • Unsafe stairs (missing handrails/bannisters)

It is both the landlord’s and your own responsibility to ensure the property is kept in an acceptable and safe condition. Although the landlord has a responsibility to carry out repairs it is also important that you look after the property on a day to day basis.

Informing Crawley Homes about specific repairs

If you live in a house owned by Crawley Homes and have noticed that there are some repairs that need carrying out, you need to report them as soon as possible, whether it’s gas, heating or hot water or some other urgent issue. You can do this by calling 01293 438592 and choosing the appropriate option. For other non-urgent issues, you can report the problem online. The Crawley Homes online system allows you to choose an appointment time to arrange a visit out to your home, so that the council can assess the repairs. Alternatively, you can email them at

What happens if the repairs that you need are not carried out?

If Crawley Borough Council don’t carry out your requested repairs after a reasonable amount of time, then you may be eligible to make a complaint against them. You can also look into claiming if repairs were carried out but they weren’t completed to a satisfactory standard or were temporarily resolved but the problem came back. For more options about what action you can take and to find out what your rights are, you can apply for a free claims assessment by contacting CEL Solicitors on 0808 273 0900 or by emailing today.