Housing disrepair complaints for a Conwy County Borough Council property

If you’re a tenant in a social housing property run by Conwy County Borough Council or one of the housing associations in Conwy, your landlord has a legal and moral duty of care to ensure that your house is structurally safe to live in, and that the health and safety of your household is not put at risk due to disrepair. Whilst tenants also have responsibilities for maintaining some parts of the house, your landlord is the one who will need to organise any repairs that are required to the building itself or any essential services. Their responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

  • Ensuring the tenants have safe access to gas and electricity
  • Maintaining essential sanitary systems, such as toilet, bath, sink
  • Ensuring tenants have a functioning heating system and access to hot water
  • Maintaining the roof, gutting and drainage systems

For example, if your roof has started to leak, which you may have noticed because it is causing a problem with damp, it falls to your landlord to make the necessary repairs to fix the problem, within a reasonable amount of time.

Can I complain to Conwy County Borough Council about disrepair in my home?

As soon as you notice that a repair is needed in your home, you should contact your landlord to report it. Depending on the severity of the problem, they should organise for repairs to be done within a reasonable timescale. Emergency repairs should be prioritised. You can contact your landlord through their website to report repairs, and they should be able to give you an estimate of how long it will take for the work to be carried out.

What if my home is not repaired by my Conwy housing association?

If you have reported the problem and your landlord has not organised repairs within a reasonable timescale, you might be eligible for compensation, especially if anyone in your household has suffered as a result of the disrepair, or has had personal belongings damaged by the issue. Contact CEL Solicitors today for a free initial claim assessment and more information on the next steps you can take – on 0808 273 0900 or 0203 925 4551; or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk