Housing disrepair complaints for Dover District Council properties

If you live in a Dover District Council rented property, your landlord will be required, by law, to ensure that any necessary council housing repairs and maintenance are carried out within a reasonable amount of time. This will include, but is not limited to:

  • Access to hot water and heating
  • Removal of any damp or mould that falls within their landlord obligations
  • Repair of any structural issues that may be required throughout the course of your tenancy
  • Reasonable access to electricity, gas and working sanitation (this will include; baths, toilets, sinks and drains)
  • Pest control, if necessary.

Keeping the above in mind, if you believe that the property that you are renting from Dover District Council requires structural repairs, or if you do not have access to adequate heating, it is important that you take action before yours, or your family’s wellbeing, is put at risk.

Below-par living conditions in your rented home can not only pose an unsightly inconvenience but may also pose a health risk to both you and your family in extreme cases. This is particularly important to think about if you are living with young children, vulnerable adults or anyone who suffers from respiratory conditions.

Is it possible to file a housing disrepair complaint to Dover District Council?

Yes, if you have any concerns about your rented property you should report them to Dover District Council as soon as possible. For gas, hot water or central heating repairs call FREEPHONE 0800 91 96 34 or, for general household or communal repairs contact Mears on FREEPHONE 0800 0234 320.

Dover District Council state that emergency household repairs will be dealt with within 4 hours, urgent repairs within 3 days and routine repairs within 15 days. If your complaint is about central heating or gas repairs, however, urgent repairs will be dealt with within one day, non-urgent repairs within 3 days and routine repairs within 7 days.

Is there anything I can do if Dover District Council haven’t dealt with my housing complaints?

If you have reported your housing repair concerns to Dover District Council, but no action has been taken within a reasonable amount of time, council housing solicitors may be able to claim against them on your behalf for both compensation and for the repairs in question.

For further information about tenant’s rights, or for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact CEL Solicitors today on 0808 273 0900 or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk.