Housing disrepair complaints with a Kirklees Council Housing property

Kirklees Council Housing has a legal obligation to provide its tenants with property repairs and maintenance, and to provide them with a home suitable for an adequate standard of living. Just some of their responsibilities include:

  • Providing a functioning heating system for hot water and heating
  • Providing full access to gas and electricity
  • Removing pests before you move in and preventing further entry through disrepair
  • Removing damp and mould caused by faulty guttering, windowsills and leaks
  • Replacing damaged and worn brickwork and ensuring structural integrity

Some issues such as uneven flooring can represent more than an inconvenience to tenants. Housing disrepair that could cause trip and fall hazards is a serious issue and needs to be fixed. That includes hazards on stairs, missing handrails, banisters, broken treads and more.

Uneven flooring could also contribute to other problems such as rising damp and mould accumulation. That could not only affect the overall structural integrity of the house, but could also present certain health issues to adults and children living at the property.

Can I contact Kirklees Council Housing about my housing complaints?

Yes, and you should contact Kirklees Council Housing about any housing disrepair you may have discovered as soon as you possibly can. In emergency situations tenants can call 01484 414850, where they will try to order the repair and provide a target time for completion. Other enquiries can be made through 01484 414800, and general repairs can take up to 25 days (excluding bank holidays).

What if Kirklees Council Housing isn’t responding to my housing disrepair complaints?

If a resolution can’t be reached with Kirklees Council Housing regarding repair issues within an acceptable period of time then you could make a housing disrepair claim for both compensation and for the repairs in question through a specialist solicitor.

If you’d like to know more about your rights as a tenant and would like a free initial assessment of your claim, contact CEL solicitors today on 0808 273 0900 or 0203 925 4551; or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk