Housing disrepair complaints with a Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council property

Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council has the legal duty to provide you, as a council house tenant, with property repairs and maintenance to ensure an adequate standard of living. Just some of the issues under their remit include:

  • Roof repairs and fixing broken guttering, downpipes or external drains
  • Providing full access to hot water, heating, electricity and gas
  • Removing defective brickwork and dangerous electrical wiring
  • Solving issues revolving around damp, mould and fungus caused by disrepair
  • Providing pest control if vermin is entering the property through disrepair

Though some of these may seem like minor problems, leaving aspects of a property in a state of disrepair can make a lot of issues worse over time and potentially introduce serious dangers into a homestead.

Plumbing problems with sinks, toilets, baths and other sanitation equipment can easily develop into more major issues, and could even go as far as affecting the structural integrity of parts of the building. There is also the possibility of build-ups and accumulation of damp and mould, which could introduce certain health issues to both young and adult tenants.

Should I make Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council aware of my housing complaints?

If you feel there are issues that need to be resolved surrounding housing disrepair then, yes, you should alert Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council as soon as possible. During emergency situations they can be contacted on 01709 3369009 where they claim a four-hour response time for ‘Life or Limb’ situations or end of next day for urgent jobs. Non-urgent repairs can be requested online and may take up to 28 days to be resolved.

What are my options if my housing complaint has taken more than 28 days to resolve?

If you feel your housing complaint hasn’t been dealt with effectively by Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council or your property is still in a state of disrepair after a certain time has passed, you could make a housing disrepair claim for compensation and the repairs in question through a housing solicitor.

To find out more about your rights as a tenant and to get a free initial assessment of your claim, contact CEL solicitors today on 0808 273 0900 or 0203 925 4551; or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk