Housing disrepair complaints with a Stockport Homes property

If you live in a Stockport Homes rented property they are, by law, required to ensure that any necessary council housing repairs and maintenance are carried out in a reasonable amount of time.

Maintenance may include, but is not limited to:

  • Adequate access to hot water and heating
  • A home that is free from damp and mould
  • A structurally sound home
  • Adequate access to electricity, gas and working sanitation (including baths, toilets, sinks and drains)
  • Pest control, if needed.

With this in mind, if, for example, the Stockport Homes property that you are renting has no access to working drains, or you believe that the building itself is not structurally sound, it is imperative that you take action before yours, or your family’s wellbeing, is put in danger.

Inadequate living conditions in your rented home do not only pose an inconvenience, but issues such as rising damp can also pose a serious health risk to both you and your family – particularly if you’re living with young children, vulnerable adults or anyone who suffers from respiratory conditions.

Should I file a housing disrepair complaint to Stockport Homes?

Yes, it’s important that you report any housing disrepair concerns to Stockport Homes as soon as possible. If you believe your concern to be an emergency, call 0161 217 6016 and Stockport Homes will aim to carry out urgent repairs within four hours of reporting, though it may be necessary for further, non-urgent work to be completed once the immediate problem has been addressed. If the issue isn’t urgent, it should be dealt with within 20 days of being reported.

Is there anything I can do if Stockport Homes haven’t dealt with my housing complaints?

If, despite having reported your housing repair concerns to Stockport Homes, no action has been taken within 20 days, council housing solicitors may be able to claim against them on your behalf for both compensation and for the repairs in question.

For further information about tenant’s rights, or for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact CEL Solicitors today on 0808 273 0900 or 0203 925 4551; or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk