Housing disrepair complaints with a West Lancs Borough Council property

West Lancs Borough Council has a legal duty to ensure that maintenance and repair works are carried out for tenants of their properties and that their homes offer an adequate standard of living. Duties under their remit can include:

  • Providing tenants with access to hot water, electricity and heating
  • Fixing external drainage problems with drains, gutters and downpipes
  • Fixing damp and mould caused by damaged brickwork, roofs, window frames and more
  • Pest infestations that have occurred through disrepair
  • Plumbing leaks and associated sanitation problems

Issues such as a lack of hot water and heating can provide serious problems for individual tenants and families living in council housing. Beyond that, housing disrepair could potentially also lead to serious health and safety issues if they aren’t properly addressed.

Plumbing problems for instance could be a contributing factor to issues surrounding structural integrity within a property. Leakages, whether from a sink or the roof, are also a significant contributor to damp and mould, which could cause health and respiratory issues for adults and children.

Should I take my housing complaints to West Lancs Borough Council?

Yes. If you have a property complaint regarding maintenance issues and housing disrepair, you should contact West Lancs Borough Council as soon as possible. The council can be contacted on 01695 577177 between 8.30am-5.30pm Monday to Friday, and outside those hours an emergency number will be provided via recorded message. Urgent repairs will be fixed within seven working days with routine repairs within 20 working days.

What if my housing disrepair issues hasn’t been solved in 20 working days?

If you have a serious issue or complaint about housing disrepair that falls under the remit of West Lancs Borough Council, have reported it and haven’t seen any resolution within 20 working days then a solicitor could make a housing disrepair claim for both compensation and the repairs in question on your behalf.

You have rights as a tenant. To find out more about your rights and to get a free initial assessment of your claim, contact CEL solicitors today on 0808 273 0900 or 0203 925 4551; or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk