Housing disrepair concerns with Doncaster Council rental properties

If you live in a rented property owned by Doncaster Council, there is a legal duty for both parties to ensure that any necessary repairs and maintenance are carried out, and the property is kept to a satisfactory standard of living.  This includes, but isn’t limited to:

  • A pest-free, damp-free and mould-free building
  • A structurally safe building
  • Working sanitation and access to heating and hot waters
  • Gas and electricity

With this in mind, if you find yourself with limited access to electricity, or perhaps Doncaster Council have failed to organise important repairs to the structure of your home, you may be able to bring a case against them to court. Poor living conditions are inconvenient, but they can also be dangerous – issues such as rising damp or mould, for example, can have a huge effect on young children, and adults who suffer from respiratory conditions.

How do I report housing disrepair issues to Doncaster Council?

If you have any concerns about the state of your rental property, it’s important that you report them to Doncaster Council as quickly as possible. In a serious emergency you should call 01302 862862 and someone will attend your home to make it safe, or repair if possible, within two hours. Less urgent issues will be dealt with between 24 hours and 5 days, whilst all other repairs will be completed within 20 days.

What can I do if Doncaster Council won’t deal with my complaint?

If you have made a complaint about your rented property top Doncaster Council, but you have failed to see any action within the time-frames they have agreed to by law, our expert team of housing repair solicitors may be able to claim against them on your behalf for both compensation and for the repairs in question.

For information about rental agreements and your rights as a tenant, or for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact CEL solicitors today on 0808 273 0900 or 0203 925 4551; or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk