If you live in a Darlington Borough Council rented home, both you and your landlord will have signed a contract at the beginning of your tenancy that legally confirms that the home will be kept to a decent living standard. Though you will be expected to keep the property to a reasonable standard from day-to-day, your landlord’s responsibilities will include:

  • Ensuring that there is working sanitation throughout the property, (this includes flushing toilets, unblocked drains and working baths and basins)
  • Ensuring that the property remains structurally sound and safe to live in
  • Ensuring that access to hot water, heating, electricity and gas is easily accessible
  • Ensuring that the property remains free from vermin, damp and mould

Low-quality living conditions within your rented home can not only be inconvenient, but in many cases can put both yours, and your family’s, physical and mental health at risk. So, before any problems with your rented property escalate, it is imperative that you report your concerns as quickly as possible – as council repair obligations clearly state that it is their legal duty to keep the property up to the required standard of living.

If, however, you believe that your complaints regarding any issues with your Darlington Borough Council rented home are not being responded to by your landlord, we may be able to help you to take legal action against the council for the repairs that haven’t been done, along with further compensation for yourself.

Can I complain to Darlington Borough Council about disrepair in home that I rent?

Yes, you should let your landlord know any issues you have with your home as soon as possible. If you require an emergency repair, you can call 01325 405333 and Darlington Borough Council will get back to you as quickly as possible.

What can I do if Darlington Borough Council haven’t responded to my housing complaints?

If you have reported your concerns to Darlington Borough Council, but have failed to see any action within a reasonable time period, you may be eligible to claim compensation.

To find out your rights as a tenant, and for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact us today on 0151 909 8212 or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk