Housing disrepair issues with an East Devon District Council property

If you rent a property from East Devon District Council, both you and your landlord will have signed a contract at the beginning of your tenancy stating that the property will be kept to a reasonable living standard. Though you will be expected to keep the property to a decent standard from day-to-day, your landlord’s responsibilities will include:

  • Ensuring that you have access to working sanitation throughout the property, (this will include unblocking drains and making sure that you have access to flushing toilets and working baths and basins)
  • Ensuring that the property is structurally safe from a legal perspective
  • Ensuring that there is reasonable access to hot water, heating, electricity and gas
  • Ensuring that the property is kept free from vermin, damp and mould

Poor conditions in your rented home can not only make life difficult, but in some cases can also put yours, and your family’s, health at risk. So, before any problems with your home get out of hand, it is important that you report any concerns you may have to East Devon district council as soon as they arise. Housing association repair obligations clearly state that it is your landlord’s legal duty to keep the property up to the required standard of living, however, you believe that your complaints regarding any issues with your East Devon District Council rented home are not being taken seriously, you may be entitled to take legal action against East Devon District Council for the repairs that haven’t been done, along with compensation for yourself.

Can I complain to East Devon District Council about disrepair in my rented home?

Yes, you should let your landlord know about any disrepairs within your home as soon as possible. To report a non-emergency, during working hours you can call 01395 517458. However, if you require an emergency repair (such as a burst pipe or no electricity) you can report these by ringing the Home Safeguard team on 01395 516854.

What can I do if East Devon District Council haven’t responded to my housing complaints?

If you have reported your concerns to East Devon District Council but have failed to see any action within a reasonable time period, you may be eligible to claim compensation.

To find out your rights as a tenant, and for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact us today on 0808 273 0900 or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk.