If you rent your home from Hyde Housing, you will have signed a contract at the beginning of your tenancy that states that the property will be kept to a decent living standard by both yourself and your landlord. Though you will be expected to keep the property to a reasonable standard from day-to-day, your landlord’s responsibilities will include:

  • Ensuring that the property is structurally sound
  • Making sure there is working sanitation throughout the property, (this includes flushing toilets, unblocked drains and working baths and basins)
  • Keeping the property free from vermin, damp and mould
  • Ensuring that there is reasonable access to hot water, heating, electricity and gas

Poor conditions in your rented home can not only be inconvenient, but in some cases may also put yours, and your family’s, health at risk. Before any issues get out of hand, it is important that you report any concerns you may have to your landlord as soon as possible, as housing association repair obligations clearly state that it is their legal duty to keep the property up to the required standard of living.

If, however, you believe that your complaints regarding any issues with your Hyde Housing rented home are not being taken seriously by your landlord, you may be entitled to take legal action against Hyde Housing for the repairs that haven’t been done, along with compensation for yourself.

Can I complain to Hyde Housing about disrepair in my home?

Yes, you should let your landlord know any housing issues you have as soon as possible. To report a non-emergency, you can use Hyde Housing’s online contact form 24 hours a day and will be attended to within 20 working days. However, if you require an emergency repair you can call 0800 3 282 282 and Hyde Housing will get back to you within 4 hours and should fix the problem within 24 hours.

What can I do if Hyde Housing haven’t responded to my housing complaints?

If you have reported your concerns to Hyde Housing, but have failed to see any action within the 20-working-day time period, you may be eligible to claim compensation.

To find out your rights as a tenant, and for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact us today on 0151 909 8212 or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk