Housing disrepair issues with a Northwards Housing property

Northwards Housing has a legal duty to perform necessary housing repairs and property maintenance for tenants in their area, to ensure that the property is adequately fit for habitation for you and your family. Their responsibilities can include, but are not limited to:

  • Providing full access to hot water, heating, gas and electricity
  • Fixing plumbing leaks and accumulation of damp through disrepair
  • Clearing defective brickwork and ensuring structural integrity
  • Fixing defective and dangerous wiring
  • Providing pest control services if vermin enter a property through disrepair

If you’re living in a Northwards Housing property and are without hot water, or feel that there are aspects of the building that make it an unsafe space for you and your family, it’s essential to take action before anyone’s safety and wellbeing are further put at risk.

Not only can the above issues be incredibly inconvenient for tenants, but certain conditions could also compromise health in the long-term. Properties with damp, mould and excess moisture, for instance, could cause certain allergic reactions and could contribute to respiratory issues in both children and adults.

Should I report housing disrepair issues to Northwards Housing?

Yes. Any concerns you have with your property should be reported to Northwards Housing as soon as possible. Call 03000 123 123 to speak to a representative about your living conditions between 8.45am-4.30pm, Monday to Friday, and you should receive a reply within 24 hours. This number is also available for use in emergency situations outside Northwards Housing’s normal office hours.

What if Northwards Housing isn’t dealing with my complaints?

If you have filed a complaint to Northwards Housing about disrepair within your property and they haven’t offered you an appointment within their allotted timeframes (which can be up to six weeks for very minor repairs) then you may be able to make a housing disrepair claim against them through solicitors acting on your behalf for compensation and for the repairs in question.

If you’d like more information about your rights as a tenant, and for a free initial claim assessment, contact CEL Solicitors today on 0808 273 0900 or 0203 925 4551; or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk