Housing disrepair problems with a Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council rented property

If you live in a rented home that is owned by Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council, you landlord is obligated to carry out any required maintenance or repairs to the property in order to ensure that your home is kept to a satisfactory standard of living.  You landlord’s obligations will include, but aren’t limited to:

  • Ensuring that tenant have access to gas, electricity, sinks, flushing toilets, baths, basins and hot water
  • Ensuring that the drainage solutions are kept to a reasonable standard
  • Maintaining the outside of the building to ensure that it is safe to live in
  • Ensuring that the property is mould and pest-free

With these standards in mind, if you find yourself with limited access to hot water, or if Barnsley Metropolitan Borough council have not carried out essential repairs to the structure of your property; they are ignoring their legal obligation as landlords. Housing disrepair issues can put yours or your family’s health at risk, not to mention being highly inconvenient and often unsightly.

At CEL Solicitors we strongly believe that every single person deserves to live in a safe, well-maintained home, and we take Barnsley Metropolitan Borough council’s housing maintenance policy very seriously.

Can I report housing disrepair issues to Barnsley Metropolitan Borough council?

Yes, you can. In fact, it is crucial that you report any issues or concerns that you may have about your rented home to Barnsley Metropolitan Borough council as soon as they arise. In emergencies, you can call 01226 787878, or is the issue isn’t urgent use the online contact form here.

Can I do anything if Barnsley Metropolitan Borough council don’t deal with my problem swiftly?

If you have reported your housing disrepair concerns to Barnsley Metropolitan Borough council, but you have failed to see any action within a reasonable time frame, our expert housing repair solicitors may be able to claim against the council on your behalf.

For information about your rights as a tenant, and for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact CEL solicitors today on 0151 909 8212 or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk