Housing disrepair problems with an Enfield Council rented property

If you rent your home from Enfield Council, they have a legal obligation to carry out any necessary repairs and/or maintenance to the property, and ensure that your home is kept to a suitable standard of living.  These include, but aren’t limited to:

  • Access to sinks, flushing toilets, baths and basins
  • Working drainage
  • A structurally sound building that is safe to live in
  • Heating and hot water access
  • A damp-free, mould-free and pest-free home
  • Access to gas and electricity

Keeping these standards in mind, if you have limited, or no, access to hot water, or if Enfield Council have not carried out required repairs to the structure of your property; they are ignoring their legal obligation as landlords. Along with being highly inconvenient, these issues may put yours or your family’s health at risk. Damp or mould, for example, can have a detrimental effect to the health of young children, and vulnerable adults.

At CEL Solicitors we strongly believe that every single person deserves to live in a safe, well-maintained property, so we take Enfield Council’s housing maintenance policy very seriously.

Can I report housing disrepair issues to Enfield Council?

Yes, you certainly can. In fact, it is extremely important that you report any issues or concerns to Enfield Council as soon as they arise. For daytime emergencies, you can call 0800 40 80 160 or for out of hours issues call 020 8379 1000 and Enfield Council should deal with the problem.

What can I do if Enfield Council don’t deal with my problem swiftly?

If you have reported your housing disrepair concerns to Enfield Council, but you have failed to see any action within a reasonable time frame, our expert housing repair solicitors may be able to claim against the council on your behalf.

For information about your rights as a tenant, and for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact CEL solicitors today on 0808 273 0900 or 0203 925 4551; or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk