Informing Colchester Borough Council of repairs needed in your home

If you live in a property owned by Colchester Borough Council and there are repairs that need carrying out, you should contact them immediately. Landlords do have a responsibility to ensure that your home is a safe place to live and doesn’t pose any health and safety threats to you and your family. If you do need repairs carrying out in your council owned property, you must inform them as soon as possible, before the repairs are left to worsen. If you are unsure what counts as a repair, then it is important to know that Colchester Borough Council have a responsibility to ensure that your home:

  • Is structurally safe
  • Is free from vermin when the tenancy begins
  • Is free from penetrating or rising damp and resulting mould
  • Has plumbing and sanitation that is in good working order

The above are examples of repairs but the work of Colchester Borough Council is not limited to these only, there are plenty of other repairs that might need to be carried out on your rented property and it is important that you take action to prevent the repair from worsening.

How do I report repairs to Colchester Borough Council?

If you need to report repairs to the council, you can contact CB Homes on 01206 282525 during normal office hours. If you have an emergency outside of these hours then please call 01206 769779. If the repair is not urgent, you can head to the Colchester council website and fill out an online form. The form requires details about the repair you are reporting, personal details from yourself and your account property number. This form will also help you to understand what is required of you as a tenant and the repairs that are your responsibility and not the council’s. Below are some examples of the type of repairs that you should report:

  • Any dangerous or unfinished wiring in the property
  • Uneven flooring throughout the property or garden
  • Any plumbing or hot water issues

If you notice a need for a repair, it is important that you report it as soon as possible to prevent disrepair from worsening and the problem becoming a bigger issue. It is the landlord’s duty to ensure that you have a safe home for you and your family and to carry out any necessary repairs as soon as possible.

What If I’m unhappy with the repairs?

If the repairs carried out by Colchester Borough council aren’t to a satisfactory standard or if the repairs haven’t been carried out at all after a reasonable amount of time, you may be entitled to make a complaint against them for neglecting their responsibility as landlords. You may have noticed that the repairs weren’t done properly, and the issue might have even returned. If this is the case, you could be entitled to make a compensation claim against the council, alongside your complaint. If your claim is successful, you will be entitled to the repairs being carried out properly and you may also be eligible for compensation if the repairs have remained unresolved for a long period of time, particularly if they have posed a threat to your, or a family member’s, health. For a free claim assessment or to discuss your options and rights, contact CEL Solicitors on 0808 273 0900 or email info@celsolicitors today.