Informing Cornwall Housing of a repair needed in my home

It is the responsibility of Cornwall Housing to ensure that your home meets an acceptable standard of living conditions. As a landlord, they have certain legal obligations and standards that need to be met so that your home is a safe and secure place for you to live. Their responsibilities include but are not limited to:

  • Ensuring the property is structurally safe
  • Checking that the property has a running supply of hot water
  • Ensuring the property is free from dangerous wiring

When you sign a tenancy agreement, you are agreeing to look after the property in which you are living. However, if there are urgent repairs needed that are for things that your landlord is required to repair, then you should report them to the council as soon as possible.

How do I make a complaint about my property to Cornwall Housing?

If you are a tenant in a property owned by Cornwall housing, in association with Cornwall Council, then you will be entitled to have repairs fixed a reasonable amount of time after they are reported. Reporting repairs and maintenance to Cornwall Council is a quick and easy process. To report them over the phone, please call 0300 1234 161 and press option 3. Alternatively, you can report any repairs needed in your home online by emailing or following the link provided on the Cornwall Housing website. When reporting a repair online, please make sure that you include your full name, the address of the property, a daytime telephone number that you can be reached on and a time when there will be someone home so that a representative can come over to assess what needs doing.

Cornwall Council haven’t carried out the necessary repairs, what are my rights?

If a reasonable amount of time has passed and Cornwall Housing have not fixed the repairs in your home then you could be eligible to make a claim against them. It is the responsibility of your landlord to ensure that you are living in a safe and secure property so if they have not carried out their duty to fix any outstanding repairs, then CEL Solicitors can help. If your claim is successful, not only will Cornwall Housing be ordered to carry out the relevant repairs by the court, but you may also be able to claim compensation if the health or safety of anyone in the home was compromised while the repairs remained unfinished. To find out what you are entitled to, what your options are and what actions you could take next, then call CEL Solicitors today on 0808 273 0900 or email