Informing Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council about disrepairs in my home

As soon as you spot something requiring a repair in your rented accommodation with Doncaster Council, you should report it to them because landlords have certain legal obligations when it comes to ensuring that your home is safe, secure and well looked after. If you notice any disrepair in your property, you should report it immediately, because if anything that needs repairing is left unreported it can get worse and the problem can grow significantly. A few examples of repairs that would be carried out by Doncaster Council, rather than by you as their tenant,  include:

  • Any plumbing issues or lack of hot water running through the property
  • Issues with the roof or faulty guttering
  • A non-functioning heating issue

Please note that once the repairs have been reported, you need to leave a reasonable amount of time for the council to resolve the issue. How ‘reasonable’ you need to be will depend on the severity of the issue – of course, if you have an emergency or a repair that is a threat to health and safety, the repair should be dealt with as soon as possible.

How do I report disrepair to Doncaster Council?

If you are tenant in a Doncaster Council property and are housed by St Leger Homes, then you can report disrepair by calling them on 01302 862862. The phone line is open 24 hours a day 365 days a year. If you would prefer to have the issue in writing, you can email them on or send a letter to your local St Leger office. If you are hard of hearing or speech impaired then you can contact the council’s repair service on your Typetalk phone, which will connect if you put 18001 in front of the original number. Logging a repair online is also a possibility, just make sure that you include your full name and contact details as well as information about the issue.

I am not happy with the repairs made by Doncaster Council, what are my next steps?

If Doncaster council have carried out insufficient repairs to the property or have ignored your repair requests altogether then you could be eligible to make a claim against them. If successful, this will not only mean that they have to arrange to carry out urgent works straight away, but also means that you could be entitled to compensation for living in an unsafe property, especially if health or safety guidelines have been compromised. You can have a free claim assessment with CEL Solicitors where you can discuss your issues, discover what actions you should take next and find out your rights when it comes to repairs in your rented property. Call CEL Solicitors today on 0808 273 0900.