If you live in a property owned by Haringey London Borough Council and run by Homes for Haringey, you have the right to expect that your landlord will make sure your home is safe to live in. Legally, they have certain obligations to their tenants with regards to the repair and maintenance of the home. These include, but are not limited to:

  • Making any necessary repairs to exterior paths and paving or fencing
  • Making any required repairs to the structure of the home, such as walls, roof and windows
  • Ensuring the tenant has safe access to electricity, heating & hot water
  • Repairing any broken or faulty plumbing and pipework

As a tenant, you also have responsibilities when it comes to the upkeep of the property, such as ensuring it is kept clean and tidy and carrying out minor repairs or replacements, such as changing light bulbs or bleeding radiators.

How do I report home repairs to Haringey Council?

Tenants of Haringey Council can contact Homes for Haringey about repairs that are needed, as they run the maintenance and repairs service on behalf of the council. They can use their online account, use the My Haringey Home mobile app, or call during office hours on 0208 489 5611. You can also email details of the repair that is needed to repairs@homesforharingey.org. If the repair is urgent, which means that it puts people or the property at immediate risk, you can call the above number at any time for the emergency ‘out of hours’ service.

You should report a repair as soon as you spot that there is a problem. The sooner that you report a repair, the sooner Homes for Haringey should fix the issue. Also, some repairs will get worse if they are left unreported and that can make it a much bigger job when they are eventually looked into.

What if Homes for Haringey don’t make the repairs they should?

If you have reported the repair(s) through the proper channels as above and Homes for Haringey either haven’t attempted to make a repair after a reasonable amount of time has passed, or they have only made a partial repair that you feel is unsatisfactory, you may be able to make a claim against them. If successful, a housing disrepair claim can not only legally force your landlord to make the repairs that are needed quickly, but could even include some compensation if you or your family have suffered financial loss or health issues as a direct result of the problems with the property.

For a free claim assessment or to discuss your options, contact CEL Solicitors on 0808 273 0900 today.