Making a complaint about disrepair in a Leeds City Council property

If you live in a property owned by Leeds City Council your landlord is legally expected to ensure that your home is safe to live in. Leeds City Council will have certain obligations to their tenants with regards to the repair and maintenance of the home. These include, but are not limited to:

  • Making any necessary repairs to exterior paths and paving or fencing
  • Making any required repairs to the structure of the home, such as walls, roof and windows
  • Ensuring the tenant has adequate and safe access to electricity, heating & hot water
  • Repairing any broken or faulty plumbing and pipework
  • Ensuring all baths, sinks and basins are adequately maintained
  • Pest and damp control if necessary

As a tenant, you will also have responsibilities when it comes to the upkeep of the property. These will include; keeping on top of cleanliness, carrying out minor repairs such as changing light bulbs or bleeding radiators, and preventing condensation damp.

Living in a property that is falling into disrepair can have damaging affects on the health of both you and your family, so if you believe there is an issue with your rented home, it’s important that you report it to Leeds City Council as soon as possible.

How do I report home repairs to Leeds City Council?

If you are a tenants of Leeds City Council rented home, you can report any repairs that are needed via their online form. However, if there is any fault or urgent damage to your property which you feel requires attendance within three days, you can request a repair by telephoning 0800 188 4000 – do not use the online form for emergencies.

You should report a repair as soon as you spot that there is a problem. The sooner that you report a repair, the sooner Leeds City Council should fix the issue. Also, some repairs will get worse if they are left unreported and that can make it a much bigger job when they are eventually looked into.

What if Leeds City Council don’t make the repairs they should?

If you have reported the repair(s) to Leeds City Council via the channels above, but you believe that your landlord hasn’t attempted to make the repair(s) after a reasonable amount of time has passed, you may be able to make a claim against them. If successful, a housing disrepair claim can not only legally force your landlord to make the repairs that are needed quickly, but could even include some compensation if you or your family have suffered financial loss or health issues as a direct result of the problems with the property.

For a free claim assessment or to discuss your options, contact CEL Solicitors on 0808 273 0900 today.