Making a complaint about disrepair in a Milton Keynes Council property

If you’re a tenant in a home owned by Milton Keynes Council, you should have been given details of both your and your landlord’s responsibilities when it comes to repairs, when your tenancy started. As a tenant, you are obliged to help keep the home maintained, clean and tidy, but if structural repairs are needed, or there are issues with some of the permanent fittings and fixtures of the property, it will usually be Milton Keynes council who are responsible for fixing the problems. Some of the areas that they look after include, but are not limited to:

  • Repairing worn or damaged brickwork
  • Repairs to the roof
  • Maintaining heating systems and access to hot water, gas and electricity
  • External pipes, drain and gutters

If your home has fallen into disrepair, it can sometimes become a danger to the health or safety of your household, as well as being incredibly stressful and inconvenient to live with. This is why it’s important to report any problems to Milton Keynes Council as soon as you notice there is an issue.

How can I report a home repair to Milton Keynes Council?

Once you spot a problem in your property that is the responsibility of Milton Keynes Council to repair, you should inform them straight away. This can be done by phone, on 0330 123 2522 and the line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The contractors that carry out repairs on behalf of the council in their properties are called Mears, so you may be contacted by them to actually do the work. All workers from Mears will carry ID and present this to you at the door when they arrive to carry out work on or in your home.

You can also email your repair request to with details of the problem and your contact details; but for emergencies, always use the phone number above.

How quickly will Milton Keynes Council repair my property?

Under law, there is no specific time limit on when the council, or their contractors, should make repairs to your home; only that the work should be done in a ‘reasonable’ amount of time. However, they do aim to make emergency repairs safe within four hours of the problem being reported. They aim to fix routine repairs within 28 days, and appointments are offered between 8am-5pm Monday-Friday. Sometimes, more than one visit will be required to make full repairs.

If you feel that Milton Keynes Council have not taken your repair complaints seriously, or that they are taking longer than is reasonable to fix the problem, you could be eligible to make a housing disrepair claim. If your claim is successful, the repairs will have to be made as soon as possible and you may also be able to claim compensation too. To discuss your options and for a free claim assessment, contact CEL Solicitors today, on 0203 925 4551.