Making a disrepair complaint about a Caerphilly County Borough Council Property

As a tenant of Caerphilly County Borough Council, your tenancy agreement should tell you what your responsibilities are when it comes to minor repairs and maintenance to your council home. Your landlord, Caerphilly County Borough Council, also have responsibilities when it comes to ensuring your home is in a good state of repair and meets the necessary standards. Your landlord’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

  • Ensuring that the structure of your home is safe and in good repair e.g. roof, walls, ceilings etc.
  • Making sure you can safely access essential services like water, gas, electricity and sanitation (toilet, sink, bath etc)
  • Making sure your home is free from penetrating or rising damp
  • Ensuring your external doors and windows are secure

If you notice an issue within your home that is Caerphilly County Borough Council’s responsibility to repair, you should report it to them as soon as you can. Disrepair problems can sometimes escalate if they are not fixed quickly, which can result in more damage to your home and a bigger repair job for your landlord. The sooner you report a repair, the sooner your landlord can act to resolve the problem.

How do I report disrepair to Caerphilly County Borough Council?

If your repair is urgent, where your health or safety is being put at risk, you can report a repair during office hours by calling the repair team on 01443 864886. If your emergency repair is needed outside of office hours, you can call 01443 875500.

Non-urgent repairs can be reported on the main number during office hours, by calling 01443 864886.

Caerphilly County Borough Council have a number of different priority responses for repairs, depending on how urgent they are. Their policy is:

Priority 1 – For emergency repairs that need doing out of hours – 2-hour response time

Priority 2 – For emergency repairs within working hours – same day response time

Priority 3 – Non-urgent repairs – an appointment offered within 20 days

Priority 5 – Non-urgent repairs – an appointment offered within 45 days

Priority 8 – Follow up repairs after assessment or pre-inspection – an appointment offered within 60 days

Caerphilly County Borough Council may send a member of the team or a contractor round to assess repairs first so they can allocate them a priority rating, if the problem is not urgent.

What if Caerphilly County Borough Council don’t fix my home repairs within the time they said they would?

Legally, there is no set period of time in which Caerphilly County Borough Council need to carry out repairs to your home, just that it must be done within a ‘reasonable’ amount of time. However, if you reported the issues through the correct channels and have followed up since, but the council have not responded to your complaint or have not fixed the problem properly, you may be eligible to make a housing disrepair claim against them. If your claim is successful, a court will order Caerphilly County Borough Council to make the necessary repairs. You may also be eligible to claim compensation for the disrepair, especially if it has left you out of pocket or has caused someone in your household be to hurt or become ill.

Contact CEL Solicitors for a free claim assessment and to discuss the next steps. Call us on 0203 925 4551.