Making a housing disrepair complaint about an Arawak Walton home

If you are a tenant of Arawak Walton Housing Association, your landlord has a responsibility to make sure that the home you live in is maintained structurally and that you have access to essential services in your property. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

  • Ensuring that the property is structurally safe
  • Maintaining the tenant’s fencing or boundary structures
  • Ensuring the property has functioning and locking external doors and other entry points
  • Making sure tenants can access heating, gas, electricity and hot water safely

When should I contact Arawak Walton about a repair?

As soon as you notice an issue with your home or a repair that needs to be made, you should contact Arawak Walton Housing Association to let them know. They offer repairs for non-urgent problems 9am-5pm on weekdays and for urgent repairs, when there is a danger to health and safety, they state that they will make the situation safe within 24 hours.

Repairs such as lost amenities, e.g. the tenant suddenly finding they have no hot water, Arawak Walton claim to fix within 7 days and routine repairs will usually be done within 21 days of being reported.

Tenants can call to report repairs on 0800 389 4616, and for non-urgent disrepair, issues can be reported through a form on their website or by calling into the office in person.

What happens if Arawak Walton don’t make the repairs they promise?

If you have reported the disrepair through the correct channels and Arawak Walton Housing Association have not attempted to fix the problem within the timeframes they have given, it may be possible for you to make a disrepair claim.

This type of claim can include an order for the repair work to be carried out as soon as possible, and may also include compensation for tenants, where they have suffered or are out of pocket because of the disrepair and any further damage the problem has caused. This could include health issues related to the disrepair, such as damp problems causing respiratory problems, or any damage caused to the tenant’s personal belongings because the repair has not been done.

For a free claim assessment, if you want to know if your complaint is eligible for compensation, get in touch with one of our expert housing association solicitors on 0151 909 8212, or by emailing