If the property that you live in is owned by Metropolitan Housing association, your landlord is legally obligated to make sure that any maintenance and/or repairs on your home is carried out, throughout the course of your tenancy. This can include, but isn’t limited to the following:

  • Ensuring sufficient access to electricity, gas, hot water and heating
  • A building that is safe and well-maintained structurally in the eyes of the law
  • A home free from damp and mould
  • Providing pest control if needed

So, if your rented home doesn’t have adequate access to hot water, or if you believe that Metropolitan housing association have not repaired damage to the structure of the building, it is important that you report the issues before yours or your family’s wellbeing is put in danger.

Living in unhygienic or unsafe conditions in your rented home not only creates an unappealing environment to live in but can also contribute to health problems for you and your family. Issues such as rising damp, for example, can be especially dangerous for young children and adults suffering from respiratory conditions.

Should I complain to Metropolitan housing association if my rented home needs repairs?

Yes, if there are any problems with your rented house that you believe are affecting yours or your family’s safety, or if you believe that you home is falling into disrepair, you should report all of the issues to Metropolitan housing association as soon as possible. You can report a repair 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling 020 3535 3535 or emailing your landlord via contactus@metropolitan.org.uk. Metropolitan housing association aim to deal with repairs as soon as possible – or within 24 hours for emergency cases.

What can I do if Metropolitan housing association haven’t dealt with my housing complaints?

If you believe that Metropolitan housing association  are not taking your disrepair complaints seriously, or dealing with them within a reasonable amount of time, council housing solicitors may be able to claim against the trust on your behalf – for both compensation and for the repairs in question.

To find out the rights you hold as a tenant, or for a free initial assessment of your claim, contact CEL Solicitors today on 0808 273 0900or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk